RED WINE JELLY Thumbprint Shortbread Cookie
Pair with your favorite Hess wine
3 ½ c Red wine of choice
½ cup Lemon juice
2 oz Apple pectin
4 ½ c Sugar
2 ¼ c All-purpose flour
½ tsp Baking powder
¼ tsp Salt
6 oz Unsalted butter, room temperature
5 oz Sugar
½ tsp Vanilla extract
For the Wine Jelly
- Combine sugar and apple pectin in a small bowl, whisk together and set aside.
- Combine wine and lemon juice in a sauce pot and bring to a boil.
- Add sugar and pectin mix, whisk until sugar has dissolved. Return to a boil for 1 minute. Chill overnight.
For the Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 325° F.
- In a standard mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together.
- Top with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with the salt
- Add egg, vanilla extract, and salt. Mix until incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients, mix until just combined. Chill dough for 1 hour.
- Use an ice cream scoop to portion dough into 1/2-ounce (1 Tbsp.) balls. Roll balls in a plate of sugar to coat, then roll again between your palms. Place several inches apart on a baking sheet. Flatten balls lightly with your fingers.
- Press your thumb into the cookies to make large, shallow indentations. Spoon in the wine jelly.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let rest on pan for 5 minutes before transferring a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar.