Fried Rice bowl with poached eggs
Pair with Central Coast Pinot Noir
Yield: 4 servings
For the Poached Eggs:
2 qts of Water
1/4 c White Vinegar
2 tsp salt
For the Fried Rice:
1 1/2 oz Canola Oil
2 c Shiitake Mushrooms, cut into 1/4″ slices
1 c Carrots, cut in half moons
1 Tbsp Garlic, chopped
1 tsp Ginger, peeled, chopped
6 c Long grain rice, cooked
1/2 c Peas
1/4 c Green onions, sliced on a bias
1/4+/- c Soy sauce, light (season to taste)
1 Tbsp Sesame seeds, toasted
to taste Salt and Pepper
For the Poached Eggs
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Turn the heat down to just below a simmer and add the vinegar and salt.
- 2. Crack an egg in a small bowl to check that the yolk isn’t broken. Slowly stir the water in one direction to create a whirlpool effect. Once the whirlpool has slowed down a little, carefully slide the egg into the water against the side of the pan. Following the current of the water as you pour the egg in, so that the white envelopes the yolk.
- Crack another egg into the small bowl and add to the water in the same manner. Poach the eggs for 2 to 2 ½ minutes, until the whites are set and the yolks are runny. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon to a plate to drain. Cupping the eggs in your hand, tip the plate to pour off the excess water.
For the Fried Rice
- Heat a large sauté pan or wok over medium-low heat. Add a little canola oil and the mushrooms, cook to caramelize. Remove from the pan.
- Assemble your stir-fry ingredients as the cooking process moves very quickly.
- Heat a wok or nonstick sauté pan over high flame and add canola oil. Swirl to coat the bottom and sides.
- Add the carrots, stir fry for 1 minute, clear a space in the middle of the wok and add the ginger and garlic. Stir fry for a few seconds until aromatic. Add the dried white rice and continue to stir fry, breaking up the rice with the back of a spatula. Add the peas, green onions, peas, sesame seeds, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Season to taste with soy sauce tossing and stirring well to combine. Place in a bowl. Top with a warm poached egg. Garnish with green onion threads.