1 gal Water
½ cup Salt
1 cup Brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Whole black peppercorns
1 ½ Tbsp. Allspice, whole
1 ½ Tbsp. Candied ginger, chopped
2 sprigs Rosemary
2 sprigs Sage
2 sprigs Thyme
1 gal Ice
14 – 16 lb Turkey
- For the Brine: Place the water, salt, sugar, spices and herbs in a large pot. Bring to simmer.Let cook for 15 minutes over low heat.
- Add the ice and stir to dissolve. When the brine is 40°F. Place the turkey in the brine in a container that will keep it submerged. Let sit overnight.
1 ea. Turkey, fresh, 14 – 16 lbs.
to taste Salt and Pepper
¼ cup Butter, melted
¼ cup Olive oil
2 ea. Carrots, peeled, cut in 1” pieces
2 ea. Celery stalks, cut in 1” pieces
2 ea. Onions, large, peeled, cut in 1” pieces
2 ea. Garlic cloves, peeled
6 ea. Thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 325 °F.
- Season the turkey the exterior and interior of the turkey with salt and pepper. Let sit for 15 minutes or longer. Tuck with wings back to hold the neck skin in place.
- Combine carrots, celery and onions in a large bowl.
- Place 2 handfuls of the carrot mixture inside of the turkey. Add 3 thyme sprigs and 1 garlic clove.
- Combine the butter and olive oil in a small bowl. Brush the exterior of the turkey with the butter mixture.
- Place the remaining carrot mixture in the bottom of a roasting pan with a rack.
- Place the turkey on the roasting rack, breast side up.
- Place the turkey in the preheated oven. Baste the turkey every 30 minutes during the cooking time. Cook for 3 ¾ – 4 ½ hours or until the breast meat is at 165°F.
- When the turkey is cooked 2/3 of the way, loosely cover the breast with a piece of foil to prevent over cooking.
- When the turkey is cooked. Remove from the oven and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Move to a platter or cutting board and carve.
Note: Use the pan dripping and rendered fat to prepare a pan gravy.