Roasted Leg of Lamb With Chimichurri, Crispy Potatoes With Cipollini Onions, Broccolini & Garlic
Yield: 6 portions
Ingredients – Leg of Lamb
1 Leg of Lamb, boneless, excess fat and sinew removed (3 lbs)
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Thyme, chopped
2 Tsp Lemon zest
Salt and Pepper to taste
INGREDIENTS – Chimichurri
¼ cup Red wine vinegar
¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
¾ cup Beef stock, reduced to ¼ cup
½ cup Italian parsley, chopped
1½ Tbsp Garlic, minced
3 Tbsp Shallots, minced
2 Tbsp Oregano, chopped
1 tsp Salt – will depend on saltiness of the beef stock
¾ tsp Red chili flakes
½ tsp Sugar
½ tsp Lemon juice
INGREDIENTS –Potatoes with cipollini onions, broccolini & garlic
¼ cup Olive oil
1 hd. Garlic, peeled to individual cloves
1½ lbs Yukon gold potatoes, baked, sliced ¼ “ thick
½ lb Cipollini onions, blanched and peeled
2 bu. Broccolini, stems trimmed, and blanched
Method for the lamb
- Purchase a deboned leg of lamb.
- Combine the thyme and lemon zest with extra virgin olive oil.
- Season the lamb with salt and pepper – inside and outside.
- Spread herb mixture over interior.
- Tie with twine. Let sit for 20 minutes to overnight.
Method for Chimichurri
Combine all ingredients and let sit at room temp for 1 hour.
METHOD FOR potatoes
- Place the olive oil and garlic cloves in a small sauce pot. Heat over low and cook until the garlic cloves are golden brown and soft. Drain well, placing garlic on paper towels to remove excess oil. Reserve the oil.
- Heat 1 oz garlic oil in sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the peeled onions and sauté for several minutes until the onions are golden brown all over. Set aside.
- Heat the 1 oz garlic oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the potatoes in a single layer, let cook for several minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Once the potatoes are browned, add the cooked onions, broccolini and garlic cloves. Toss to combine. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Place a mound of the potato mixture slightly off center in the plate. Thinly slice the lamb – ( ¼ “ thick slices max.) and place a few slices partially over potato mixture. Spoon 1 ½ oz of Chimichurri over the lamb. Serve immediately.