MACADAMIA NUT CRUSTED GOAT CHEESE
Pair with 2015 Small Block Grüner Veltliner
Yield: 4 portions
Ingredients – Honey Vinaigrette
½ oz Shallots, finely chopped
2 oz White balsamic vinegar
6 oz Extra virgin olive oil
½+ oz Honey, local
1 bunch Chives, chopped
1 Tbsp Chive flowers for garnish to taste Salt and pepper
Ingredients –CRUSTED GOAT CHEESE CROSTINI
12 oz Macadamia nuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
12 oz Goat cheese, softened
12 ea Crostini, toasted, drizzled with olive oil
8 oz Asparagus, shaved thin lengthwise
8 oz Fennel, shaved thin
4 oz Red endive, julienned
- Vinaigrette: Place shallots in bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add vinegar. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Whisk in honey and olive oil to emulsify. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add more honey if desired.
- For the crusted goat cheese: form the goat cheese into a small disk, approximately 2 oz size. Coat the goat cheese with toasted macadamia nuts.
- To Serve: stir the chives into the vinaigrette.
- Place the asparagus, fennel, and endive in a bowl. Toss with salt and pepper to season.
- Place the Macadamia crusted goat cheese slightly off center on a small plate. Place a mound of the shaved vegetables next to it. Drizzle the shaved vegetables and goat cheese lightly with vinaigrette. Garnish with chive flowers.
- Serve with a platter of crostini, and build your own goat cheese crostini by spreading the Macadamia crusted goat cheese on the crostini, and topping it with some of the shaved vegetables with vinaigrette.
The fresh, complex flavors of the macadamia nuts, goat cheese, spring vegetables and honey vinaigrette pair perfectly with the crisp, fruit-forward Grüner Veltliner