GRILLED LAMB CHOPS WITH ARUGULA, ASPARAGUS, MAITAKE MUSHROOM AND FIG SALAD WITH ROASTED FENNEL AND THYME VINAIGRETTE
Pair with Lion Tamer Red Blend and Hess Select Cabernet Sauvignon
Yield: 12 portions
Roasted Fennel and Thyme Vinaigrette
2 ea. Shallots, diced
½ cup White Balsamic Vinegar
2 tsp. Thyme, chopped
1 Tbsp. Roasted Fennel Seeds, crushed
1 ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 oz Olive oil
2 cup Maitake Mushrooms, clean, separate
1 bu. Asparagus, standard size,
2 cups Arugula, stems removed
8 ea. Fresh figs, quartered (substitute sliced dry figs if fresh not available)
1 ea. Frenched Lamb Rack, cut into 4 each double bone chops
to taste Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- For the Vinaigrette: Place the shallots in a bowl. Season with salt and pour in the vinegar. Let macerate for 10 minutes. Add in the thyme and fennel seeds. Whisk in the olive oil to emulsify. Season with salt and pepper.
- Blanch the asparagus in boiling salted water until tender crisp Shock in an ice bath. Drain well and cut in 1 ½” long pieces on a bias.
- Heat a sauté pan; add the oil and maitake mushrooms and cook until caramelized. Remove from heat.
- Place the arugula, asparagus, mushrooms, and figs in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss.
- Grill the lamb chops to medium-medium rare. Let rest for 5 minutes. Cut the lamb in half to yield 2 pieces of bone in chops.
- Place salad on the plate slightly off center and lean the lamb against the salad. Drizzle the plate and lamb with a little more dressing.
Note: For the Lamb, Use domestic lamb racks and cut into 4 double chops.