PURPOSE OF JOB: The Divisional Sales Manager is responsible for the business management of Hess Family Wine Estates (HFWE) for the Western division. The division sales team includes three Regional Chain Managers and two Regional Managers (RMs) covering CA, HI, AK, OR, WA, MT, ID, WY, AZ, NV. Success is measured in terms of achieving planned depletions growth, expansion of targeted distribution, maintenance of optimal inventory levels and control of per case costs. Case responsibility is approximately 200,000.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Management of Planning – key to growing the Division is the establishment of a robust Annual Operating Plan (AOP). Ratified with distributor partners through a collaborative planning process, the Fiscal plan runs July thru June and sets a phased Channel plan used to measure distributor performance in terms of depletions, accounts sold, inventory holdings, and cost control. You are responsible for driving this process in all markets/distributors in your Division.
- Management of AOP Execution – this process is driven by the RMs in concert with Strategic Account Managers, working to first “pressure test” and then “set” the depletions, distribution and case spend goals with distributor partners. You are responsible for having the plan ratified and embedded within your distributor partners prior to the commencement of the fiscal year.
- Driver of Performance Evaluation – managed through RMs and SAMs this step involves supervision of monthly planning meetings and personal facilitation of key market Quarterly Business Reviews (QBRs). You are responsible for reporting the business issues impacting your division at the monthly business performance call, for framing business issues to be addressed at the QBR and for follow-up post the meetings.
- Instigator of Course Correctional Action – initiated at monthly planning meetings and quarterly business reviews, you are responsible for having your team and distributor partners bridge short falls to plan, enlisting senior Management support as necessary.
- Champion of Company Standards – it is your responsibility to ensure compliance to company pricing, programming, and discounting standards.
- Quarterback of Marketing Cycle Calendar – we manage our multi-brand portfolio using a cyclical promotional calendar. You are responsible for the alignment of your business to that calendar, ensuring your team and distributor partners focus on the calendar initiatives in a timely manner, including brand focus, execution of national marketing programs, market surveys, ambassador travel, and key events.
- Reporting – author an informed written perspective on HFWE’s individual brand performance and communicates competitive and industry activities monthly to the Vice President Western Division.
- Business Ambassador – act as our business representative at key events, meetings and forums in your division.
- Coach and Team Mentor – develop RMs to meet short and long-term goals, setting clear Sales Incentive Plans and formally discussing their progress on a monthly basis. You will be highly encouraged to share cross divisional “best practices” to help transform the company into a high performing organization.
- Cultural Ambassador – ensure that The Hess Collection Winery’s culture is consistently supported in all business and employee interactions, which includes both ethical and legal aspects, complying with federal and state laws and Hess company policies and procedures.
- Budget Management – ensure Travel & Entertainment, Discount & Rebate and divisional Advertising & Promotions budgets do not exceed plan.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Direct reports comprise three Field Sales Manager(s) who are accountable for specific territories within the division.
- You are responsible for directing RMs in developing on-premise business including managing target lists in all major markets within the division.
- You will also direct them in developing off-premise business including identifying and targeting key independent retailers as well as top chain accounts within the division.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual should possess the requirements listed below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree (or the equivalent) with at least five years of distributor sales management experience, gained within either a Distributor or wine supplier environment.
- Proven experience and track record in designing, developing, and implementing distributor management plans that achieved sales goals.
- Demonstrated success in pricing and budget management.
- At least 5 years of people management experience.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in negotiation and sales skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Wine education credentials a plus
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must reside in a major metro area of California, with current knowledge of the market, distributors and buyers in the division.
- Must be able to travel at least 50% of the time.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Must have a valid state driver’s license.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to lift and move cases of wines weighing up to 45 lbs each.
The Hess Collection Winery offers a competitive base salary, bonus, and a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance, a matching 401K plan, and a Paid-Time-Off (PTO) plan.
Applicant selection process begins immediately. Please include a cover letter as well as a current resume for review.